Welcome -

Welcome to my blog about female/maternal global health. For some time now, I have been intrigued by medicine - both the history of past medical practices and the future that we are working toward. As a result, I have begun to look into the topic of maternal health - a plight that the world has struggled with for millennia. Although it has become clear that we, as a global society, have made tremendous headway in protecting women's health worldwide, there is still much to be done in order to completely eliminate the problem. In this blog I will summarize and discuss my research as well as debate/support the convictions of others. Through this project I strive to make the world more aware of the global issues surrounding maternal health and of that which each person can do in support. Thank you for visiting!

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Final Reflection

Reflection: 4-2-15
Final Reflection

1. On a scale of 0 to 100 (from zero effort to the most effort you possibly could have given) what would you rate your effort level on your 20% Time Project?
          I think it fluctuated.  At first, I gave it about 50% effort... I was busy with college stuff and other schoolwork and it fell out of my mind.  Toward the end of the project - the last month and a half - it became increasingly important to me.  In order to finish my product and prepare for my presentation, I gave at least 90% effort and spent as much time as I had on it.

2. In what areas (research, planning, blogging, executing, presenting) have you given more effort or less effort?  Why?
          I definitely spent much more effort on preparing for the presentation and the presentation itself.  I think that introducing the issue to the community was almost as important as finishing the final product on time, so I focused a lot of my effort toward that piece.  I had a lot of trouble with the photo-taking piece of my project, and even though I thought a lot about it, I probably could have put in more effort to get out into the community and find photo subjects.

3. What are you really proud of from your 20% Time Project?
          I have to say, I am quite proud of my presentation.  I felt like it was succinct and that the audience enjoyed what I had to say and how I presented it.  I wasn't feeling fantastic about my project going into the presentation, but afterward I felt much more confident in my work during this time.

4. What motivated you to give the effort level that you did give?
          In all honesty, I probably gave a lot of effort toward the end, in particular, because we had an approaching deadline.  At the beginning it was more about spreading the word and helping the cause (and don't get me wrong, that has persevered), but I felt the rush of the deadline, and that got me moving.

5. If you could go back and do the project over, are there things you would try to improve?  Are there things you wish you'd done, that you didn't do?  Ways you could have pushed yourself to raise the bar even higher?
          I would definitely try to get out into the community and find more photo subjects - I struggled a lot with this portion, but I definitely wish I had forced myself to look elsewhere.            
6. What was the most challenging part of this project for you?
          As mentioned numerous times, the photo-subject-locating portion was particularly difficult for me.

7. What have you learned about the project-planning process?
          Since the 20% Time proposal was the first proposal I had ever written, it prepared me completely for the Senior Project proposal.  I think that was definitely the most helpful part of this project for me.  It trained me how to produce a successful and thorough write-up for a proposal and I expect that I will need to use this skill in years to come.

8. What in this project has made the biggest impact on your learning? Why?
          (see above..)

9. When you consider the rest of your life, what percentage of what you learned during this project do you think will be useful to you?  Explain.
          Honestly, I think that a lot of what I learned will help me later in life.  As I wrote above, I think the most important part of the process was the writing of the proposal.  However, I have also learned a lot about how to meet deadlines in a timely manner, how to avoid procrastination via more planning, and how to find creativity and innovation where there seemingly is none.  I believe all of this - maybe 70% of the project - will be useful later in life.

10. If you could turn back time and do this project again, what would you do differently?
          (this was already asked and answered in question #5..)

11. What advice would you give students who will participate in this project next year? 
          I would say that they should make sure to really, really think about the topic of their project before they choose one, and they should think long and hard about their product.  It's very easy to bite off more than you can chew, and I think students need to be wary of that fact.

12. What is something I could do in the future to make this project better?
          I definitely need to keep spreading the word and trying to present my work to others in the community.  I think I can also improve my physical product and make it look more professional - although I have to say that I rather like the student-made quality of my work.  I could also put this "campaign" on social media to help me spread the word (e.g. post on Facebook, create a Facebook page, make something like a GoFundMe page, etc.)

13. What grade would you give yourself for the quarter?  On what main factors do you base that grade?
          For everything studied so far this quarter (since January) - including the 20% Time project, contract honors work, readings, responses, debates, class participation, reflections, etc. - I think I have done really well.  I think I pulled off most everything I wrote about in my project proposal for the 20% Time Project and I have put in a 98% on the effort scale above for all of the rest of the classwork (especially in reading/responses and preparation for debates).  I am proud of the work I have continued to do even though it has been "senior slump" time and, in all, I would give myself a 96.  (I just noticed that this is the grade that you, Mark, have given to me already.  I believe that it is a very accurate representation of my overall effort and work in this class thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment