Welcome -

Welcome to my blog about female/maternal global health. For some time now, I have been intrigued by medicine - both the history of past medical practices and the future that we are working toward. As a result, I have begun to look into the topic of maternal health - a plight that the world has struggled with for millennia. Although it has become clear that we, as a global society, have made tremendous headway in protecting women's health worldwide, there is still much to be done in order to completely eliminate the problem. In this blog I will summarize and discuss my research as well as debate/support the convictions of others. Through this project I strive to make the world more aware of the global issues surrounding maternal health and of that which each person can do in support. Thank you for visiting!

Friday, December 5, 2014

Reflection: December 5th, 2014

Reflection: December 5th, 2014

      We're finally in the first stages of production!  I've started thinking about/researching photographs and stories to include in my final product and it's been... interesting.  I have found a few in-depth, personal stories about women who have experienced the reality of maternal health in other countries and it has been tremendously depressing.  Some of the stories that I have found are accompanied by photos of the women and simply seeing the look on their faces in some of them is enough to break your heart.  I can truly say that, although I was interested in and dedicated to this cause before, after reading these women's stories I am much more attached than I was previously.  This is yet another reason why I believe my project can make a difference.  If I pick a good story, I can't even imagine how many people it will affect when they read it while staring at some of the photos I will take.  However, as jazzed as I am about this section of the project, I am not so jazzed about the photo-taking section.  I have been pondering what photos would be best for this project for weeks now and coming up with a solid list of ideas is proving to be incredibly difficult.  Now it seems like almost nothing can, even abstractly, represent maternal health or pregnancy in general.  I think I may need to go out and find either some help or some inspiration - or both!

1 comment:

  1. Mikhal, I want to connect you with Julia Luckett Cox, a VCS grad and an incredible photographer who has travelled in developing nations to capture people's lives on film. Check her out at http://julialuckett.com/portraits/ Julia may be a source of inspiration for you!

    ReplyDelete